These are the instructions to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini smartphone with the model number GT-I9197 running on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update.
The CF-Auto-Root file you will find in this guide is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and the KOT49H.I9197XXUCNG1 firmware. You should understand that it does not mean you must be running that same KOT49H.I9197XXUCNG1 firmware but rather the information is used as an indicator. We know that some devices in the Samsung range refuse to boot up the older images. That’s why Chainfire gives this information.
Files You Need
- Download the new CF-Auto-Root file for the GT-I9197 on 4.4.2 from this page.
- Download the universal ADB driver directly to your computer from this page and install the driver before you start the guide.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from this page.
- You should check that your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini smartphone does have the GT-I9197 model number before starting the guide or else it will brick the device. You can check that by tapping on the S4 Mini’s Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- You must have a Windows computer to run the Odin flashing tool that is available in this guide.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9197 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Installing the universal ADB Driver on your computer running Windows.
- Extract the Odin and the CF-Auto-Root files to the desktop of the computer by dragging them from the default Downloads folder over to the desktop and then right-click > extract here.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on your S4 Mini by navigating to the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. You can unlock the Developer Options menu on your S4 Mini if need be by pointing to the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to the computer in download mode. Start with the S4 Mini device completely off and then boot by holding the Power + Home + Volume Down to get it in the download mode. Press the Volume Up button on the display when it says to do so.
- Wait for the ID: COM port to light up a green color so you know the universal ADB Driver is working. Anyone who does not see the device added message needs to get the drivers working. Try installing the Samsung drivers and reboot the computer if necessary.
- Do not make any changes to the default settings you can see available from the Odin user-interface, including the Auto Reboot, Re-partition and F Reset Time options.
- Click the AP or PDA button that is available from the Odin application and browse the desktop for the CF-Auto-Root tar.md5 file for the S4 Mini handset.
- Click the Start button when you are ready to flash the rooting exploit on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini smartphone.
- Wait until you get the text on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini’s display stating that it is restoring the stock recovery, cleaning up and rebooting in 10 seconds.
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9197 smartphone will now reboot in recovery mode and the SuperSU is fully installed and enabled on the device. You can start using it to install your root-requiring apps like the Titanium Backup app from the Google Play Store.
- Anyone who does not see the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9197 smartphone reboot in the recovery mode like it should must get it done manually by holding the Power + Home + Volume Up buttons during the booting stages.