Root has come out in the form of an auto rooting custom kernel for the latest Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. If you have been rocking this edgy device and were wishing for a root method, your wish has been fulfilled by the talented XDA developers.
Fire-up Odin, connect your phone, flash the kernel, and you have root access on your phone. Easy peasy, right?
Related Reading: One thing you cannot forget to do after rooting a Samsung smartphone
Here’s how to do that:
Files You Need
- Please do this tutorial at your own risk as we will not be held responsible for the results that you get after doing this tutorial.
- You must have access to a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial as the tool that you’re going to use is Windows only.
- Ensure that you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers on your computer. If you have not, install those first.
- This should work for the 928 F / I / C / L / K / S and 928 T / W8 variants of the phone. If yours is not one of these, please do not do this tutorial as you’ll brick your phone.
- This flashes a custom rooted kernel to gain root access on the phone.
- Download Odin to your computer. You will use it to flash the custom kernel on your phone.
- Download Custom Kernel to your computer. It is the auto rooting kernel that will be flashed on your phone.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus
- First of all, you need to extract files from Odin over to your computer. You can do that by right-clicking on the Odin archive and selecting Extract here. It should extract all the compressed files for you on your computer.
- When the files are extracted, double-click on Odin executable and it should open.
- When the Odin opens, find the button that says PDA and click on it. Navigate to the folder where you have saved custom kernel on your computer and select it to be flashed on your phone.
- Make sure that Repartition option is unchecked in the Odin as it may cause issues during the flash procedure.
- You can checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options though.
- Turn off your phone and pull the battery out of your phone.
- After a couple of seconds, put the battery back in to your phone but don’t turn it on just yet.
- Hold down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together on your phone. It should trigger your phone to boot into download mode.
- Accept the prompt on your phone by pressing the Volume UP key. This should get you into the download mode on your phone.
- Now, while your phone is in download mode, connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
- Odin should recognize your phone and show it up on its main interface.
- Click on Start in the Odin and wait for it to flash auto root custom kernel on your phone.
- It should only take a couple of minutes to install the kernel.
- When the Odin’s done flashing the kernel, your phone will automatically reboot.
- You are now rooted!
Your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus should now be rooted, and you can use an app like Root Checker to verify proper root permissions on your phone.
Let us know how this worked for you in the comments section below!