If you are a loyal T-Mobile customer and have bought the Samsung Vibrant from the big T, you can now have root access on your phone using a simple update.zip file.
Yes, the root works for the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Vibrant and you should be done in no time.
Curious to know how you can do that? Here’s all you need:
Files You Need
- This tutorial should only work for the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant phone.
- This should install SuperSU as well as Busybox on your phone.
- Download Root Package to your computer. It will later be transferred to your phone.
Rooting the Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile)
- Rename the Root Package to update.zip by right-clicking on it and selecting Rename.
- On your phone, head to Menu->Settings->Applications->USB settings and select the option that says Mass Storage.
- Connect your Samsung Vibrant to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- When the phone is connected to your computer, pull down the notification bar and select Mount USB to mount your phone on your computer.
- You should then be able to exchange files between your computer and your phone.
- Now, copy update.zip from your computer over to the internal storage on your phone. Place the file on the top so it can be easily found at a later time.
- When update.zip is copied, power off your phone.
- Power your phone back on in recovery mode. To do that, hold down Volume UP, Volume DOWN, and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- Your phone should reboot into the recovery mode.
- Select Reinstall Packages option from the recovery menu.
- It should then automatically flash update.zip on your phone. Wait for it to do so.
- When it’s done, your phone should reboot.
- You should now be rooted!
Cheers! Your T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Vibrant is now rooted and is rocking SuperSU as well as Busybox apps to help you utilize the root permissions on your phone.
Now, all the apps that have asked for root access should work fine on your phone as you do have root access and SuperSU to handle the SU permissions. Tap Grant when you are asked for root permissions and that app will be granted access to the root for it to do its work.
However, keep in mind that allowing access to the root to any app is not safe. Only allow root access for the apps that you are familiar with and you know they will not cause any issues.
If you are looking for more adventures and would like to flash more things on your phone, you can check out our how to install a custom recovery on the Samsung Vibrant tutorial to see how you can get a custom recovery up and running on your phone which will allow you to flash tons of things, including custom ROMs and custom kernels, on your phone.
Not only will a custom recovery let you flash custom ROMs, but it will also help you backup your current ROMs for them to be restored when things go south. So, go ahead and check it out once!