Rooting Sony devices is often one of the more difficult challenges for anyone who roots Android. The Sony brand have a history of creating devices that are anything but easy to open the ports to internal glory. However, if you are passionate about your Sony Xperia M2 Aqua device, you can follow the guide after the break and find out how to root it running on the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update.
Files You Need
- Download the rooting file for the M2 Aqua on 5.1.1 from here.
- Download the Sony Flash Tool on your computer.
Rooting the Sony Xperia M2 Aqua running the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update
- Extract the rooting file to the desktop of the computer. You should find the D2403_18.3.C.0.40_CE (1).ftf and D2303_18.0.C.1.13_Global Generic_Only kernel.ftf files inside. Copy the files over to the Flashtool/firmware directory.
- Open up the Flash Tool and flash the D2403_18.3.C.0.40_CE (1).ftf and wipe all.
- When the flashing of the firmware above is complete, turn on your USB Debugging Mode, Allow Mock Locations and the Stay Awake options all found within the Developer Options menu. You can find the Developer Options menu by pointing to the Menu > Settings > Developer Options.
- Anyone needs to enable the Developer Options menu on the Xperia M2 Aqua can do that by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- Enable the Unknown Sources option on the M2 Aqua by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Security > Unknown Sources. Now you can install new applications from outside the Google Play Store.
- Stay within the security menu from the step above and enter the “Device Administrators” section. Now turn off the
- Enterprise Service’ and the ‘Android Device Manager’.
- Plug the Sony Xperia M2 Aqua into the computer with the USB cable. Allow the USB Debugging option when it asks you on the smartphone’s display.
- Once you have enabled the Debugging, unplug it again from the computer.
- Long-press the Power button for 10 seconds and wait until the M2 Aqua turns off completely.
- Connect it to the computer and flash the D2303_18.0.C.1.13_Global Generic_Only kernel.ftf file to your device.
- Disconnect from the computer once again and then turn your M2 Aqua back on again. Wait for the display on your smartphone to go black after the Sony logo appears.
- Connect it to the computer again like is and then run the EasyRootTool v12.4 install.bat file that is on the desktop.
- It will tell you that the M2 Aqua is rooted when it’s completed; unplug the device from the computer once it does.
- Open the DSC_0001.jpg picture that is in your folder and it will tell you the button you need to press.
- Flash the D2403_18.3.C.0.40_CE (1).ftf kernel using the flash tool again.
- Turn on the Sony Xperia M2 Aqua device and let it boot in normal mode.
- Open the Google Play Store and download the SuperSU by Chainfire. Just leave the app on your device and do not open it yet.
- Connect the M2 Aqua to the computer again and this time run the SONY RIC Killer v2 install.bat file that is on the desktop.
- Now you need to open the SuperSU application from your M2’s app drawer and agree to update the SU binaries when asked.
In conclusion, that’s what you need to root the Sony Xperia M2 Aqua smartphone running on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update. You can confirm the guide worked for your device by opening the Google Play Store application and download the root checker app. There is a basic version of the root checker application that is available for free.