Rooting has so many advantages that you would love to get your Sony Xperia SP rooted. From running root-requiring apps to going as far as to changing the whole OS, root is the first step.
Once your Sony Xperia SP is rooted, it will have all the powers to smoothen your experience and to provide you with more and extra features that were not present in your stock firmware, the SuperSU app, for example.
Here’s how you can root your Xperia SP:
Files You Need
- You do not actually need a computer to do this tutorial as you can directly download the root app on your phone and use it to gain root access.
- This uses the famous Towelroot app to root the phone.
- Download Towelroot app to your computer. It will then be transferred to your phone.
Rooting the Sony Xperia SP
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable. Make sure your phone is in data transfer mode so that it can receive files from your computer.
- Copy Towelroot APK from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your phone.
- When Towelroot is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer as you do not need your computer anymore.
- On your phone, head to Menu > Settings > Security and turn on the option that says Unknown sources. What it will do is allow you to install apps from outside the Google Play store on your phone.
- Launch File Manager on your phone, and tap on the Towelroot APK to install the app on your phone.
- Wait for the app to be installed on your phone.
- When the app’s installed, launch it from the main menu of your phone.
- There is a single button in the app that says make it rain. Tap on it to begin rooting your phone.
- Wait for the Towelroot app to finish rooting your Xperia SP.
- When the app’s done rooting your phone, reboot your phone.
- You are all set!
Congrats! You have successfully rooted your Sony Xperia SP with a single-click using the Towelroot app.
So, that is all you had to do gain root-access and to get the most out of your phone. Now, go ahead and get some root-requiring apps running on your phone, so that you realize the true power of root-access on your phone.
While root-requiring apps have got it all to help you customize your phone to a greater extent, you may wish to flash a completely different version of the OS on your phone. Well, that is what custom ROMs are for.
A custom ROM changes the entire appearance and functionality of your phone in a single flash. Once flash and everything gets changed on your phone – from the menu of your phone to the boot animation – everything changes when you flash a custom ROM.
But, before you can flash a custom ROM, you are going to need a thing called custom recovery. A custom recovery is a custmized version of the recovery for your phone that allows you to flash third-party files on your phone. What this means is you can flash a custom ROM/kernel on your phone using a custom recovery, which cannot be done through a stock recovery as it just does not permit you to do that due to manufacture restrictions.
If that sounds good to you, you can head to our how to install a custom recovery on the Sony Xperia SP tutorial to learn to flash a custom recovery on your phone. Once that is done, you will be all set to fly in the world of custom developments for your Android powered phone!