Rooting the Sony Xperia Z with the Towelroot application is granting your internal system the most powerful kind of root access for the best device modification possibilities. Once yo uroot the device with the Towelroot app, you can go on to install a custom recovery and then a custom ROM. You may also choose to do nothing but install the root-requiring apps from the Google Play Store.
The only things with Towelroot you need to know is that it doesn’t automatically give your device the SuperSU app. The SuperSU app is the app that grants permissions to the rooting app. It’s also handy for giving your device extra protection. When we have access to the root file system, we normally make it easier for malware to access other apps data. However, the SuperSU app stops any malware apps from getting its hands on data and therefore your device is just as safe as it was without the root access.
Files You Need
- Download your Towelroot file from the official website during the guide from here: http://towelroot.com.
- The following guide is to root the Sony Xperia Z on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. You must downgrade to that software version if you want to successfully root the device.
- You are voiding the warranty on your Sony Xperia Z device by following this guide. You can unroot the Xperia Z by flashing a stock ROM later and the warranty will work again.
- You can only follow this guide on the Sony Xperia Z with the model number C6603. Do not flash this one-click rooting file on a different device.
Rooting the Sony Xperia Z (C6603) running Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Make sure your Xperia Z has the Unknown Sources option turned on so you can install third-party apps from outside the Google Play Store. You can turn it on by heading to the Menu > Settings > Security > Unknown Sources.
- Now open your app that you normally use to surf the web such as the Google Chrome app.
- Type in the website URL you can see in the files section above to get to the Towelroot landing page.
- Tap your hand over to the red Lambda icon you can see on the website.
- That lambda symbol is going to download the Towelroot app on your device. Follow the on-screen commands to complete the installation of the app.
- Eventually you will open the app and be greeted with a rooting button. Click the “Make it Ra1n” button.
- Now your Sony Xperia Z device is rooted and you are ready to install a custom recovery or just hit the Google Play Store to start installing your apps.
- It’s a great idea to install the SuperSU app from the Google Play Store before you start installing other root-requiring apps. The SuperSU app will keep your device safe. Most people install the SuperSU by Chainfire when using the Towelroot method.
- Lastly, open the Google Play Store app once again and install the root checker application.