Software updates always break the root-access and the same is the case with the Sony Xperia Z3. While it’s really great that this phone got the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, it broke root-access for many users and they are not happy with that.
For those users, there’s a way to re-gain root-access on the device without any issues. Yes, you can now root your Xperia Z3 running Android 5.0 using the guide below. All it requires is a few taps here and there, and you should be all set.
Here you go:
Files You Need
1. This should work on both locked and unlocked bootloader.
2. Besides rooting your Xperia Z3, this should install a custom recovery as well.
3. Download Root Package to your computer. It is the package with all the files that you need to gain root-access on your device.
Rooting the Sony Xperia Z3 on Android 5.0
1. Extract files from Root Package to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here. You’ll get a folder called ALP.
2. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
3. Copy ALP folder from your computer over to the phone memory on your device.
4. When ALP is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
5. Head to Menu->Settings->Security on your device and turn on Unknown sources. It should allow the apps from outside the Google Play store to be installed on your device.
6. Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and enable USB debugging.
7. Launch File Manager and open the ALP folder that you just copied to your device.
8. Tap on Root.apk to install it on your device.
9. Tap on Recovery.apk to install it on your device.
10. Tap on Busybox.apk to install it on your device.
11. Open Menu and launch the KingRoot app by tapping on its icon.
12. Tap on Root button in the app and wait for it to root your device.
13. When it’s done rooting, launch BusyBox from your app drawer and install it on your device.
14. Launch XZRecovery from your app drawer and tap on Install Recovery.
15. Wait for it to install the recovery on your device.
16. Your device should reboot into the recovery mode once the recovery is installed.
17. In the recovery mode, select Install and navigate to ALP folder and choose SuperSU .zip to be installed on your device.
18. Wait for it to install SuperSU on your device.
19. When it’s done, clear cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device.
20. You’re all set!
Your Sony Xperia Z3 running the Android 5.0 Lollipop is now rooted with a custom recovery. Enjoy!