Those of you who want experience a deeper relationship with your Huawei Mate 8 device will want to start customizing it to meet your needs. The first steps you need to take in order to customize the device is to unlock the Mate 8 bootloader. You can do that a couple of different ways which we mention below. Both ways of unlocking the Huawei Mate 8 bootloader will result in the same ability to start the guides on getting root access and ultimately installing a custom recovery.
Here is the guide on how to unlock the bootloader on the Huawei Mate 8 device:
Files You Need
The link to the Huawei website where you need to stay logged in for 14 days if you choose that method — Link here.
Unlocking using the fast method that costs a few dollars — Link here.
Unlocking the Huawei Mate 8 bootloader
- The most popular method will be the fast method, so let’s do that one first. Head over to the DC-Unlocker website from this page.
- Buy 4 credits from the site. The test guy over at XDA says he did his and paid roughly $4.50 in total.
- Next, follow that same DC Unlocker website’s instructions for unlocking your Huawei Mate 8 bootloader. You can choose the “Read Bootloader Code” to get the code you need to unlock the bootloader.
- Boot the Mate 8 in bootloader mode and use the command prompt to enter the “fastboot oem unlock” command. Add you code at the end of the fastboot oem unlock string and then press Enter to confirm the command.
You should now have your bootloader unlocked. The fact that the site is making you pay is just to make money from you. That’s not Huawei making the money. Huawei will unlock your bootloader free. You just need to wait until they get around to doing it. Here is how to do that:
- Make a Huawei ID from this page and stay logged in to the same website for 14 days.
- Head over to the website where you would normally go to unlock the botoloader and it should allow you to do that now according to the original poster of this method.
Now you can learn how to install a custom recovery on the Huawei Mate 8 smartphone so you can take NANDroid backups and flash new custom ROMs on the device. The custom recovery is also necessary if you want to root the Huawei Mate 8 device. You can find the rooting guide attached to the custom recovery post if you follow it through.