Whether you are looking to flash a custom recovery or to root your Huwei Honor 7, the one thing that you will first need to do is unlock the bootloader on the phone.
A custom recovery can only be flashed on your phone if your bootloader is unlocked, and that’s actually where all the customizations start from.
If you are ready, here’s how to unlock the bootloader on your Huwei Honor 7:
Files You Need
- This will wipe off all the data on your phone. So, please backup everything to your computer before doing the tutorial.
- You need a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial.
- Ensure that Huawei USB drivers are installed on your Windows computer. If they are not already installed, install them first.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you issue commands to your phone to unlock the bootloader.
Unlocking the Bootloader on the Huawei Honor 7
- First of all, unzip files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on Fastboot archive and selecting Extract here.
- Follow the guide given on the XDA Forums to get an unlock key for unlocking the bootloader on your Honor 7. Once you have a key for your phone, follow the following steps.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode. It can be done by pressing and holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together.
- When your phone enters fastboot mode, connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open a Command Prompt Window in the folder where fastboot.exe is located. To do so, open the folder, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
- When the CMD window opens, type in the following command into it and press Enter:
- Your device should show up in the list. If it does, you are good to go.
- Now, issue the following command using the CMD window. Make sure to replace MYKEY with the unlock key that you have received from Huawei.
fastboot oem unlock MYKEY
- It should unlock the bootloader on your phone.
- Wait for it to finish unlocking the bootloader on your phone.
- When it’s done unlocking the bootloader, reboot your phone by typing in the following command into CMD window and hitting Enter:
- Your phone should reboot.
And you are all done.
The bootloader on your Huawei Honor 7 should now be unlocked, and you are all set to flash a custom recovery on your phone. Flashing a custom recovery will then let you root your phone by flashing the SuperSU package.
Once you have gotten root access and a custom recovery on your phone, you will be all set to explore the world of custom developments. From fluidic custom ROMs to faster custom kernels, you will be able to flash them all on your phone and enjoy the enhancements they bring with themselves.
If that sounds good to you and you wish to have a custom recovery flashed on your phone, follow our how to install a custom recovery on the Huawei Honor 7 guide and you will be all set.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root Lenovo A6000 Plus On Android 4.4.4
- How To Install Custom Recovery On Lenovo A3000
- How To Root Lenovo IdeaTab A3000 On Android 4.2
- How To Install Custom Recovery On Huawei Ascend Mate 7
- How To Root Huawei Ascend Mate 7 On Android 5.1.1
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.