Locked bootloader means your phone cannot be flashed with custom files as the manufacturer of your phone just does not allow it. In order to remove this restriction, you need to unlock the bootloader.
Fortunately, the bootloader on the Huawei MediaPad X2 can easily be unlocked by following the following steps. Once unlocked, you should be able to root your phone to gain access to a number of root-requiring apps.
Those root-requiring apps do more for you than the ordinary apps that you have downloaded on your phone. From customizing the appearance of your phone to going as far as to editing build.prop file, you can do that all when you are rooted.
So, to root your phone, you need to first unlock the bootloader. And, here’s how you can do exactly that:
Files You Need
- Unlocking the bootloader erases all the data stored on the phone. If you have important files on your phone, backup them first.
- You need to have a Windows running computer to do this tutorial.
- Ensure that Huawei USB drivers are installed on your Windows computer. If they are not, install them first.
- Download Bootloader Unlock file to your computer. You will run it to unlock the bootloader on your phone.
Unlocking the Bootloader on the Huawei MediaPad X2
- You need to first extract files from Bootloader Unlock over to your computer. You can do that by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Head over to the Huawei Bootloader page on your computer.
- Select second option from the first dropdown menu on that site.
- Wait for it to load the second dropdown menu.
- When the second dropdown menu loads-up, select GEM-703L from it.
- It should now ask you the following three things. Fill them in and submit the form:
Serial no: Head to Menu->Settings->About phone->Status to find it.
IMEI no: Dial *#06# on your phone and you will see the 15 digit IMEI number.
Product ID: Dial *#*#1357946#*#* on your phone and you will see the product ID.
- You should get an unlock key to unlock the bootloader on your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode. You can do that by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together.
- When your phone enters the fastboot mode, connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
- Right-click on unlock.bat that you extracted from Bootloader Unlock archive and select Run as administrator. The utility should launch.
- Select option 3 in the utility.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for unlocking the bootloader on your MediaPad X2.
- When it’s done unlocking the bootloader, reboot your phone.
- You are done!
Your Huawei MediaPad X2’s bootloader is now unlocked, and you can follow our how to root the Huawei MediaPad X2 guide to gain root access on your phone.
Now that the bootloader is unlocked, you can flash a custom recovery on your phone at any time, but for that a custom recovery has to be available. As soon as it becomes available, we will do a guide for it so that you can flash it on your phone and then enjoy many of the custom ROMs on your phone.