The Motorola Moto E (2015) comes with a locked bootloader which means you can’t install a custom development on your device. In simple words, you cannot install a third-party custom ROM or a custom kernel on your device until the bootloader is unlocked.
Fortunately, there’s an easy way to get the bootloader unlocked on the 2015 Motorola Moto E smartphone. To make it even easier, there is now a toolkit that gets the whole job done in a few clicks for you. So, if you’re interested in unlocking the bootloader on your device, here’s how you can do that:
Files You Need
1. You must be running a Windows PC to be able to do this tutorial.
2. Download and install .NET 4.0 on your computer to run the toolkit.
3. Download Moto E Toolkit to your computer. It’s the toolkit that will help you unlock the bootloader on your Moto E.
Unlocking the Bootloader on the Motorola Moto E (2015) Using Toolkit
1. Double-click on the Moto E Toolkit executable file to launch the toolkit on your computer.
2. Click on Download Drivers in the toolkit and wait for it to download and install the required drivers on your computer.
3. Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your device and tap on Build number for about 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer.
4. Head back to Settings and tap on Developer options. Turn on both USB debugging and Allow OEM Unlock options.
5. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
6. Click on Check Device and you should see your device listed in the tool.
7. Click on Generate String to generate an unlock string for your device.
8. Your phone should reboot and a website will launch on your computer.
9. Get yourself logged-in to the website that is launched on your computer.
10. Copy the string from the toolkit and and paste it onto the website. Then, click on Can my device be unlocked?.
11. Select I agree and click on Request Unlock Key.
12. You should receive an email with the unlock key.
13. Copy the unlock key from your email and paste it into the toolkit and click on Unlock.
14. Wait for the toolkit to unlock the bootloader on your device.
15. When it’s done, reboot your device.
16. You’re done.
The bootloader on your 2015 Motorola Moto E is now unlocked. That means, you can now flash various custom developments, such as a custom recovery, on your device and enjoy whatever they have to offer.
You can follow our how to install a custom recovery on the Motorola Moto E (2015) tutorial to install a custom recovery on your device.
Please share this article: