One of the must-take steps for rooting the Spice Dream Uno is to first unlock the bootloader on it. What unlocking bootloader means is that you unlock the writing capability to the system partition on your phone. That means, you can then touch and modify the actual OS of your phone and even have it replaced with a custom one.
The best example of this is a custom recovery. When you unlock the bootloader on your phone, you can then replace the stock recovery that’s sitting on the recovery partition on your phone with a custom one. Well, that’s what our subsequent guide for the Spice Dream Uno should teach you.
For now, let’s get the bootloader unlocked. Here’s how you can do that:
Files You Need
- This should erase all the data stored on your phone. So, we advise you to please backup anything that you think is important before proceeding further.
- This requires you to have a computer that runs on the Windows operating system.
- Download and install ADB drivers on your computer.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It’ll help you execute commands on your phone.
Unlocking the Bootloader on the Spice Dream Uno
- First of all, extract files from Fastboot to your computer. To do that, right-click on the Fastboot archive and select Extract here.
- You need to first unlock the developer options feature on your phone. To do that, head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it should say you’re a developer. The feature is now unlocked.
- Head back to Settings and tap on Developer options. Turn on the option that says USB debugging.
- Plug in your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- Launch a CMD window in the folder where Fastboot files are extracted. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the CMD window and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into bootloader mode.
- Enter the following command and hit the Enter key:
fastboot oem unlock
- Wait for it to unlock the bootloader on your phone.
- When it’s done unlocking the bootloader, issue the following command:
fastboot format userdata
- When that is also done, reboot your phone by issuing the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You’re all set!
The bootloader on your Spice Dream Uno is now unlocked, and you can now go ahead and flash a custom recovery on your phone to then gain root-access on it.