You must unlock the bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note smartphone before you can start customizing your device with custom kernels, custom ROMs, gaining rooting privileges, or flashing a custom recovery. We have the guides available for you to flash the custom recovery and root the Redmi Note after you complete the unlocking process, so let’s get things started.
Files You Need
- Download the WinDroid Toolkit from our WinDroid page here.
- You are unlocking the bootloader and voiding the warranty on the RedMi Note smartphone by following this guide. You can get the warranty working again by clicking the re-lock bootloader button from the same toolkit.
- You must have a Windows PC to follow this guide. The WinDroid Toolkit can only work on Windows computers.
Unlocking the Bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note
- Start by enabling the USB Debugging Mode from your Redmi device by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Check the box for that and then leave the Developer Options menu and it will save and remember your preferences.
- Connect the Redmi Note device to the computer with the USB cable you use for charging the battery any other day.
- Drag the WinDroid toolkit file from the default downloads folder over to the desktop.
- Right-click the mouse over the WinDroid folder and choose the option that says “extract there” from the menu.
- Click the button that says ‘Unlock Bootloader” from the toolkit’s main page and follow the on-screen prompts to finish the job of unlocking your device.
You should find the bootloader is now unlocked and you are ready to learn everything you need to know about installing a custom recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi Note smartphone so you can start taking your complete backups without using adb commands from a computer.
Furthermore, the custom recovery available from your WinDroid toolkit is still going to allow you to recover your device if anything ever goes wrong. You also get the added bonus of getting to upload any custom ROM zip files if you wanted to install a custom ROM on your device. There are many things you can do with a custom recovery on your Xiaomi device.