After trying out various custom ROMs for your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8, finally you wish to switch to the stock ROM as you could not find a stable ROM that can be your daily driver. If that’s the case, following guide should help you unroot and get your phone back to the stock ROM.
The unroot tutorial should replace the custom ROM on your phone with the stock ROM. And that includes replacing everything on your phone with stock goodies – from custom apps to custom launchers – everything will be gone once you’re back to the stock.
So, here’s how you can do that:
The Files You Need
- This will erase all the data stored on your phone. So, please backup anything that is important for you as that data will be gone forever from your phone.
- You need to have a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial. The reason is the Odin tool is Windows only. It does not work on Linux and Mac.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your Windows running computer, if they are not already installed.
- Download Odin to your computer. It is the Samsung flash tool that lets you flash files on Samsung phones.
- Download Stock ROM for the GT-I9152 phone to your computer. It is the whole operating system for your phone.
- You should only try this on a GT-I9152 phone.
Unrooting the Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 (GT-I9152)
- First of all, extract files from both Stock ROM and Odin over to your computer. To do that, right-click on Odin and select Extract here. Do the same thing for the stock ROM archive as well.
- When the archives are extracted, double-click on Odin to launch it on your computer.
- When the Odin launches, click on PDA and navigate to the folder on your computer where stock ROM is saved. Select it to be flashed on your phone.
- Uncheck the option that says Repartition in the Odin. If you leave it checked, it will cause issues in the procedure.
- You can checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options though.
- Power down your phone.
- Power up your phone into download mode. Odin can only detect a phone when it is in download mode. To get your phone into download mode, hold down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together for a couple of seconds.
- Press Volume UP when prompted and your phone should enter the download mode.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- One of the boxes in Odin should turn yellow. It indicates your device has been detected by the tool.
- Click on Start in the Odin and wait for it to install stock ROM on your phone.
- It should take some time for the Odin to flash stock ROM on your phone as it is a complete operating system.
- When Odin’s done flashing stock ROM, your phone will automatically reboot.
- You are done!
Your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 has been unrooted and is now running the stock firmware.
The first boot might take a little longer than usual, so please do not panic. When the phone boots-up, go through the usual setup steps for using a Google account with your device. Enter in your account details, pass through the prompts, and finally see your Google data being synced with your phone.
You will see that all of the apps that you had installed on your phone are now gone. You can fresh start your journey with your phone and install new apps from the Google Play store. The root-requiring apps will not work on your phone, though. But for that, you do have an option to re-root your phone to gain access to root-requiring apps again.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root OnePlus 2 On Android 6.0.1
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On OnePlus 2
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On Samsung Galaxy Grand 2
- How To Root Sony Xperia M4 Aqua On Android 5.0.1
- How To Install Custom Recovery On Sony Xperia M4 Aqua
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.