Whether you are fed-up of using custom ROMs on your phone or you just wish to remove root access, the guide below should help you unroot and get your Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile) back to the stock.
What the following tutorial does is unroot your phone (remove root access) and flash back the stock firmware so that your phone is as new as it was when you first unboxed it.
If you would like to do that, here’s how:
Files You Need
- Your phone should have been rooted using our how to root the Samsung Vibrant tutorial.
- You must have a Windows running computer to do this tutorial as the tool that you are going to use is only available for the Windows OS.
- Ensure that the Samsung USB drivers are installed on your Windows computer.
- Download Stock Firmware for the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant to your computer. It is the entire Android OS that will be flashed on your phone.
- Download Odin to your computer. It is the tool that helps you flash firmwares on Samsung phones.
- You should only try this on the SGH-T959 variant of the phone.
Unrooting the Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile)
- Ensure that the firmware that you have downloaded to your computer is in .tar format. If it is not, it needs to be extracted. You can do that by right-clicking on the firmware and selecting Extract here.
- Extract files from Odin over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- When Odin is extracted, double-click on the Odin executable to launch the tool.
- When the Odin launches, click on the option that says PDA and choose the stock firmware .tar file available on your computer.
- Uncheck the option that says Repartition in the Odin. It can cause issues in the procedure.
- Checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options in the Odin.
- Turn off your Samsung Vibrant phone.
- Reboot your phone into the download mode so that Odin recognizes it. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together on your phone.
- Your phone will prompt you if you really wish to boot into the download mode. Confirm the prompt by pressing the Volume UP button.
- Your phone should now be in download mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Odin should recognize your phone and show it on its main interface.
- Click on the button that says Start in the Odin and it will begin flashing the stock firmware on your phone.
- Wait for the Odin to flash the firmware on your phone.
- When the Odin’s done flashing firmware, your phone will automatically reboot.
- You should now be unrooted!
Your T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant is now unrooted and is running on the official Samsung stock firmware.
Now that you are back to stock, probably after a long time playing around with custom ROMs, enjoy what the stock ROM has to offer you. From the stock apps to the stock settings, all is now back on your phone to let you experience the pure version of the Android OS on your phone.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile)
- How To Root The Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile)
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Sony Xperia TL Running Android 4.3
- How To Root The Sony Xperia TL Running Android 4.3
- How To Root The Sony Xperia E
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.