The Nvidia Shield tablet is finding the official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop software update arriving as a system notification over the air to devices. Owners of the popular gaming tablet can choose to ‘download” and “install now” or put the OTA file on hold for later. Usually it’s best to start the download once using the WiFi instead of the mobile data plan to avoid unwanted data charges. Those of you who are yet to find any message from the notification panel can skip the waiting and install the file manually. It’s the same file and you end up running the same software on the tablet.
Lollipop comes with material design in the app drawer, material design user interface, Android beam, Android RunTime (ART), pick up where you left off with songs, multiple device compatibility, tap and go NFC payments, bust mode and finely tuned camera settings, more security, smart notifications with several extra notification features plus a great deal more. We recommend checking out the new Easter Egg that plays like Flappy Bird, improved application performance and a new battery saving mode.
Android 5.0.1 comes with minor tweaks to the OS and bug fixes for the original 5.0 update. However, the Shield gets its own native features too such as the SHIELD power control menu, OpenGL 4.5 support, Live HD effects for the camera, memory optimizations, localization improvements and more.
We’ll run you through a list of the essentials so you know what you need to successfully finish the guide and more.
- You don’t immediately lose data by installing official software updates from Google or the device carrier networks. That said, we recommend backing up the data for safety. Sometimes you must perform a factory reset. Applying the reset means you wipe the data from the ROM. So, unless it’s saved on the internal SD card you won’t have the phone contacts, settings, pictures, video, music and more.
- Use the built-in backup utility for making copies of the data if you don’t want to install applications to help you. Otherwise install the Helium app from Google Play. Helium is a popular choice among Android fans this year. There are other applications such as G Cloud backup, Easy backup and more.
- Verify the USB drivers are up to date by accessing the tablet data on the computer. You must install the drivers if you cannot open the pictures. You will find the Nvidia drivers for Windows PC from third-party links or by visiting the official website.
- Double-check the USB debugging mode is enabled by visiting the developer options menu. You find the Developer Options from the Settings menu.
- Have at least 50% battery power saved up before starting the guide. You can only reply on the USB charging feature if you are staying connected to the computer with the tablet.
- You can sideload the file through ADB if you don’t want to use the recovery option. However, we think that method is harder.
- You must have a computer for transferring the files. Do not download the file directly to the tablet without the computer because it’s not as safe.
- You can download the Simple Factory reset Android app from Google Play if you find it difficult accessing the reset menu mode.
- Enter recovery mode by installing the reboot manager app from Google Play if you are finding it difficult accessing the recovery mode.
How to update the Nvidia Shield WiFi with Android 5.0.1 Lollipop
- Download the official OTA file for WiFi here.
- Use the desktop of the computer for the file.
- Transfer the file over to the internal memory of the tablet.
- Disconnect the tablet from the computer.
- Reboot it up in recovery mode.
– press the volume down + power keys together and enter the bootloader mode.
– scroll through to where it says recovery and confirm the option.
- Choose the “install’ option and upload the OTA zip file.
- Do not touch any buttons until the flashing completes.
Sometimes people have issues with the official firmware loading and getting stuck in boot loops. You should apply a hard reset if that happens on your device.
- Press and hold the power button for 8 seconds until it completely shuts off.
- Hold the volume down key.
- Hold and release the power key
- Watch as it’s entering fastboot.
- Choose the recovery option from the menu on the display.
- Press volume up and the power keys.
- Let go of the same buttons.
- Select wipe data/factory reset.
Please share this article: