Android looks like it’s appealing to the younger generations because of the way it’s branded: beautiful green friendly robotic logo and tasty treats for every software version. But deep down Android is based on Linux, which is a hardcore operating system designed for technology enthusiasts. We get a dimmed down version of Linux with Android, and it’s a version that’s a good deal friendlier and more secure too. However, that doesn’t change the fact that Android, like Linux, is open source software, and that means anyone can jump in and start developing. Those developments that people choose to make won’t reflect on your ROM that’s already running on your device, but it does mean new developers can create new ROM for you to try — just like we have here with the unofficial CyanogenMod custom ROM for the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua smartphone.
When we talk about unofficial custom ROMs, we are usually talking about ROMs that are ported from different devices. A ported or unofficial ROM can be less stable than an official build for obvious reasons. For starters, if your device has been been given an official release from the CyanogenMod team then there must be a reason why that is the case. On the other hand, many people use unofficial ROMs without any worries at all. We just recommend erring on the side of caution if you are choosing to install this unofficial CyanogenMod custom ROM on a device you plan on using for work-related purposes.
Files You Need
- Download the CM 12.1 unofficial custom ROM for the M4 Aqua from here.
- You must root the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua smartphone before you can install a custom ROM on the device. Furthermore, you must install a custom recovery on the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua so you can upload the ROM zip files.
Installing unofficial CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM on the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua
- Download the CM 12.1 ROM file from the files section above and have it waiting on the desktop of the computer.
- Connect the M4 Aqua to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the custom ROM file over to the internal storage SD card of your M4 smartphone, making sure it’s located in the root of the SD card.
- Unplug your Xperia M4 device from the computer once you have the CyanogenMod custom ROM sitting in the storage.
- Turn the device off and reboot into the custom recovery by pressing the hardware key combination for the recovery mode.
- Choose to backup from the main recovery menu and your recovery will take the complete NANDroid backup for your device.
- Choose to wipe the data and the recovery will wipe the data and then take a factory reset for your device.
- Choose to install the zip file from the main recovery menu and upload your CM 12.1 unofficial custom ROM zip file from the SD card.
- Confirm you wish to install the CM12.1 on your device by swiping at the bottom of the display.
In conclusion, that’s how to flash the unofficial CyanolgenMod 12.1 custom ROM on the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua smartphone to replace your stock ROM. You will see the new custom ROM running each time you choose to reboot your device. The only way M4 Aqua owners can get rid of it now is to flash your stock ROM manually back on your Xperia device.