A new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop software update is rolling out to many of the Sony Xperia smartphones with the build number 23.1.A.0.726. In this guide we are showing you how to root after updating to that same 23.1.A.0.726 firmware build for owners of the Sony Xperia Z2 D6502 and Z2 D6503 model numbers.
We recommend reading our list of Xperia Z2 essentials before starting the guide so you know everything you need, all the risks and what’s involved.
- You should have the unlocked bootloader to follow the guide.
- You can use any computer operating system, it’s not just for Windows PC. An Apple Mac will work.
- If you have the bootloader locked you’ll need to back up your device before following another guide for unlocking the bootloader. You are wiping the ROM clean by unlocking the bootloader and you will lose all the data including Settings, phone contacts, SMS texts, call logs, music files and video.
- You are voiding the warranty by following this guide. You’ll have to check how to get the warranty working again. usually you can flash firmware files and lose root access which will restore the warranty and the flash counter back to zero. However, that changes for each device. I am not responsible for your warranty or any damages done to your device during the guide.
How to root Sony Xperia Z2 D6502 or D6503 running Android 5.0.2 23.1.A.0.726 firmware.
- First, you want to downgrade to 23.0.1.A.0.167 firmware and root it: how to root 23.0.1.A.0.167 Android 4.4.4 Kitkat on Xperia Z2 and Z2 tablet.
- Now you want to install the Dual recovery from this XDA page.
- Connect your Xperia Z2 to the computer via the USB, unzip the Dual recovery and double-click to run and install the file with your phone plugged in. That will now equip your handset with the custom recovery.
- By this stage you now have downgraded to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, rooted that with guide, and installed a custom recovery image.
- Now we are going to create a flashable firmware for the 23.1.A.0.726 firmware.
- Download PRF Creator
- Download .726 FTF
- Download .726 FTF
- Download Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Run the PRF Creator and tranfer the other three files inside there.
- Click the ‘Create’ button and it will create the flashable ROM.
- Cop y that same pre-rooted firmware file you just made over to the root of your phone’s internal SD card storage.
- Now we are going to root and install TWRP recovery on the latest 23.1.A.0.726 firmware.
- Remove your Xperia smartphone from the computer (unplug the USB cable).
- Completely Power off your Xperia device by holding down the Power button for at least 10 seconds.
- reboot the smartphone by holding down the Power butto nand quickly pressing the Volume Down button several times over until your device enters recovery Mode.
- From inside recovery, click the “Install” optio nand upload the same pre-rooted firmware file.
- Confirm to flash that on your phone. Now head back to the main recovery menu and select the reboot > system option.
- On the computer, shift the 23.1.A.0.726 FTF file over to the /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open the Sony Flashtool.
- Click the Lightneing Bolt on the top corner of the program.
- Now click over the Flashmode.
- Upload that same firmware build number ending in 726.
- You can exclude items here. Exclude the system only and leave the rest as they are.
- Make sure your Z2 phone is off, hold the Volume Down button whilst connecting the Z2 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Keep your finger firmly held down on the Volume Down button and your device will go into Flashmode and the Flashtool will pick it up.
- Now the firmware is flashing on your device.
Wait until the flashing finishes and let go of the button. It should reboot and you can regain control of your Google account once more and start installing root-requiring apps.