Samsung Galaxy S6 is no doubt a powerful device but to take its performance to a new level you have to root your phone and install a custom recovery on it. These two things will mutate your phone to some more powerful device. Today I will tell you a very easy way to root your phone and install a custom recovery on the handset. You need some tools and some precautions for this process.
You are going to perform an unofficial actions with your phone which is not recommended by Samsung or Google. This process is also risky and may voids your phone’s warranty. Rooting your phone may bricks down your phone if not done properly. So root your phone at your own risk, do not blame us if you ended up with a bricked device.
You need for this process is a Microsoft Windows PC, a USB cable and your phone with USB debugging enabled on it. You can do it by going to Settings > Developer Options > check USB debugging from here. Check for the battery stat on your phone if it is below 50% then before rooting–plug it to your phone’s charger first. Also make sure that you are performing this process on T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6. If you try to root other device with this process then your device may got bricked.
Steps to root T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and install TWRP recovery
- Download and install Samsung Kies on your PC, this will install your phone’s USB drivers on your PC.
- Download Odin for your phone and extract it anywhere on your PC.
- Download the recovery package for your phone and put it on the desktop.
- Reboot your phone to Download Mode by turning your phone off and turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down key, Home key and Power key together (when you see a warning screen, just press the Volume Up key once to continue).
- Now launch the Odin app from the extracted folder and connect your T-Mobile S6 phone to your PC via the USB cable.
- Watch out for the “added” message in the message box — this means that your phone has been detected by Odin.
- Now click on the “AP” button and select the recovery package file from the desktop and click on the “Start” button.
- Doing this will flash the TWRP custom recovery on your phone.
- Download the root package from here to the PC and drag the file over to your phone.
- Now reboot your Samsung S6 T-Mobile phone to the Recovery Mode by turning it off and turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up key, Home key and Power key together.
- After a while you will be in the Recovery Mode (recently installed TWRP recovery).
- Tap on install > Choose the zip file and select the root package zip file from your phone and confirm to install.
- Doing this will install the root package to your phone.
- To reboot, just tap on Reboot > System — this will reboot your home to normal OS mode.
To check the root access on your phone just install any root checker app from here. Your phone has the system internals unchained away from OEM restrictions and you can tweak your phone the way you want it. There’s no limits to the applications you can install from Google Play. All the ones that says “root required” can now be installed on your device. Furthermore, if you are looking for some extra reading, you might want to see our what things to do on a rooted Android post.