The Samsung Galaxy S4 finally received the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update and as you know that Android Lollipop has some security related features which makes it more secure for rooting. So rooting galaxy S4 on Lollipop firmware is a “mission impossible” for developers. However, one of them did it he found a way to root it using Odin which is the simplest way to root Samsung devices. So stay tuned and ready your phone for rooting.
Google and Samsung don’t recommend rooting your Galaxy S4 smartphone, so if you root your phone then you should be performing unofficial actions with your device which may lead to violation of your phone’s warranty. The following process is also risky and may brick down your device if rooting process is not done properly. Do not blame us if you brick down your phone by any means.
Take a backup of all of your important data to your PC or any other safe place. Also you need to take a backup of all of your contacts by syncing them to your Google account. Make a backup of all of your media contents of your phone like photos, videos and music to your PC, you can also manage them using Samsung Kies installed on your PC.
All you need is a Windows PC and not any other type of OS such as Mac, a USB cable and your phone with USB debugging enabled. To do so you have to go to Settings > Developer Options > check the USB debugging option. Make sure that your phone should have 50% battery left on it because unexpected shutdown may lead to bricked device.
The following rooting process is only applicable on Samsung Galaxy S4 having model number SGH-I337M. You can check it by going to Settings > About Phone. Using these files or guide to other device may brick down your device.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-1337M on Android 5.0.1 lollipop
- Download Odin (any version) from here and extract it on desktop. To launch the Odin program, you have to double-click the executable file inside the extracted folder.
- Download root package from here and extract it on your desktop.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers to your PC, do that by downloading and installing Samsung Kies. Alternatively, head to Samsung’s website and visit the ‘downloads’ page to get the drivers.
- Now launch Odin from the extracted Odin folder.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to your PC via USB cable. You will see the COM port turns yellow which means Odin detects your phone. If not then you should install USB drivers for your phone again.
- In Odin, click on AP button and select the Root package executable file (tar.md5) that you unzipped earlier from the zip file.
- After that click on “Start” key, this will start the flashing procedure.
- After some time you will see “PASS” message on Odin software and your phone will reboot automatically.
That’s it! you’ve done it. Your phone is hacked successfully, you can check that by installing any root checker app on your phone. Now you can do all the customizing and tweaking on your phone. Now that you have the root access you desired, you might be wondering what you can do next. The simple answer is a great deal including custom ROMs, custom recovery’s and root-requiring apps from Google Play. We recommend learning about how to take a NANDroid backup from inside the custom recovery image of your choice. You can learn more by reading what things to do on a rooted Android.