The Samsung Galaxy Edge is Sammy’s first attempt at a truly modernistic design with a bezel taken away and the screen folding over one of the edges. The “edge” is more than just a design feature. It acts as a place where people receive notifications, quick access to apps and alerts. We never know what happens behind closed doors, but Sammy would’ve been disappointed with the way the galaxy Round flopped. Instead of creating a new design, they’re including a reason to have it this time.
Nearly everyone doesn’t want root access on their daily phone that’s brand new and expensive. That’s understandable since the OS is usually less stable and it taints the overall feel of the top-end device. Nevertheless, when you have a CF-Auto package by Chainfire, you can install the file with confidence. Chainfire’s works that takes us away from the default factory restrictions is always first-class and it leaves users with an experience that’s still close to stock Android. Furthermore, its reliable, easy to use, easy to set up and doesn’t come with many bugs.
- Backing up the data, settings and ROM are the most important things to consider before starting with the steps. Those of you with root access already ought to try Titanium backup. Titanium is the King of all apps since it lets you restore just about everything if you run into trouble. Understandably most of you are without root at this time; therefore you need apps that don’t need the internal system unchained. The Helium app is like Titanium’s little sister. After stepping onto the scene around a year ago, Helium is quickly becoming a favorite to use thanks to its ability to back up the essentials. You can store market apps, sync phone contacts and even backup the SMS texts. If you prefer going down a different route in regards to text messages you can try SMS backup+ for a dedicated application for storing the messages. Many of the options mentioned allow for making copies of the data to the internal storage of saving it up in the cloud. Saving in the cloud comes at the added price and unlocking the full version.
- You must have the up-to-date USB drivers for connecting to the Windows PC. You can obtain the drivers from Samsung Kies since this is a Sammy-based smartphone, third-party files or the official Samsung website. The majority of you should have the drivers working already. You can verify this by plugging the smartphone into the computer and accessing the drive. Now click the mouse and see if you can get access to the pictures from the phone. If so ,you know the drivers are working.
- Use a Windows PC, notebook or laptop only. It doesn’t work with Yosemite, Mavericks or any other version of OS X from a Mac. Moreover, those of you with Linux can’t use the Odin application. We recommend buying Windows in future if you are shopping for another laptop or desktop since many developers focusing on Android make the packages for Windows only. We think it’s because more people use Windows than the other alternatives.
- Do not attempt to install the files from this guide on any other model numbered Galaxy Edge other than the SM-N915F. The “F” represents the Russian variant. Those in Australia, United States and Korea have different numbers. You can check the model number by navigating to menu > Settings > About Device.
- If you are using Kies for the USB Drivers make sure you remember to disable the utility for the time being.
- Correspondingly, you ought to temporarily disable any security programs from the Windows computer and the Android Edge. Both will interfere with the Odin application at times.
- Don’t forget to switch the antivirus protection back on again before you start browsing the internet or else risk exposing your machine to Trojan Horses.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode from Developer options. Find the menu from the Settings. We know the Developer Options menu is hidden in past version of Android but that doesn’t apply here since we are running KitKat.
- Use this guide for running Android 4.4 KitKat only. Google often patch the security exploits that developers such as Chainfire use to open the OS. That means when a new software update comes out such as Lollipop you may require a new file.
- The following works in any version of KitKat from 4.4.x to the end.
- Only follow the guide if you are an advanced Android users. Seek a friend or family member if you are inexperienced with customizing the OS.
- The Note Edge comes with USB charging as stock. Nonetheless, you ought to check the battery charge levels. You want it reading 50% or above. Since the smartphone is relatively new, that will prevent it from turning off during the steps.
How to root the Galaxy Note Edge SM-N915F
- Download the rooting package here.
– extract the contents and notice the file for uploading soon.
- Download the correct Odin version here.
- Find the USB cable that comes out of the box.
– you probably use it for connecting the phone charger daily.
- Boot the Edge in Download Mode.
– press Volume Down + Power + Home at the same time.
- Connect the mobile to the computer using the USB wire.
- Open the Odin tool and wait for the ‘added’ message.
– also watch the ID: COM port changing to blue or yellow.
- Click the PDA button and upload the extracted file from the desktop.
- Leave the default settings in Odin.
- Don’t touch the re-partition box.
- Click start when you are ready to begin the flashing.
- It automatically reboots when it’s finished since we left the Auto reboot box.
- Disconnect the N915F safely by stopping the USB mass Storage device.
These are all the steps you need to successfully unlock the system internals and reach root on your mobile. Next up is installing the root checker application of you wish to verify it’s working. Once that’s out-of-the-way you can start looking up Custom ROMs, custom recoveries or anything else you want to modify your device with such as more applications.
If Odin is telling us the root is achieved bu the Edge is not booting up in the normal mode, then you are forced to apply the factory reset. Other symptoms include getting stuck at the boot animation screen and it continues to loop around at this spot. Remember factory resets will reset the mobile as if it’s just come from the factory. That’s what you do when you want to sell the phone and give it away to someone else. That means all the data is wiped and you can’t go back and restore what was on the phone. That’s why you must backup beforehand. Those that didn’t backup can attempt getting out of the situation by booting in recovery mode and wiping the caches. Now go back to the main recovery screen and select “reboot system now.”
Some of you may encounter the “Unfortunately SuperSU has Stopped” error. Download the Superuser.apk to fix the issue here — use the desktop. Connect the Edge to the computer and transfer the file over to the SD card. Install the file using a file explorer such as ASTRO file manager. From there go to the Settings > Clean Up > Re-install and clean the recent installation that went wrong. Next, go to the Play Store and install the SuperSu application. After opening the SuperSu app it will automatically prompt you to update the binary.