The last version of Android 5.0 Lollipop is available to install as a factory image on the nexus 4, 5, 7 and 10. The latter is the device we are creating the guide for today. Therefore, you should not follow these steps for any other device since the factory image files change. Installing the wrong files can result in soft-bricking of the device. It’s the one thing you want to avoid when tinkering with the operating system. We know that Lollipop software is harder to root since Google decided to lay the hammer down this time. However, with the factory images, we can easily unlock the internal systems using the Android SDK and ADB just like you would with any other Nexus device.
As usual, there’s a bevy of essentials to run through before starting the guide. Gaining root access is the first step to take before you can experience the OS away from the default factory restrictions that are applied by the device manufacturer. You must unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery such as Team Win’s TWRP or ClockworkMod recovery. We mention TWRP since we have seen others create a guide with that. However, we are rolling with CWM recovery today. follow the steps in this guide of you are happy with installing ClockworkMod recovery. You must install a custom recovery as part of the steps. there’s no way of successfully gaining root without a recovery.
It’s time to delve into the prerequisites now that you know the basics. The first thing is to back up the sensitive data on the device. Everything that you have added to the data since opening the nexus 10 out of the box is about to be wiped since there’s no way of installing a factory image without wiping the data. You should back up the settings, phone contacts, SMS texts, call logs, MMS messages, videos, pictures and all other data. Take advantage of apps from the Google Play Store such as SMS backup+, Helium, Titanium, Holo, G Cloud backup and more for all of your backing up needs. It’s not possible to make copies of all the data using one application. However, Helium is the best way to sync the contacts and backup the market apps that are otherwise difficult to store.
- The official Lollipop OTA’s are rolling out to device’s notification panels as we speak. You should wait for the OTA is you don’t have experience with installing factory images. However, if you don’t want to wait you can install the image manually. We assume you have that sorted already since you are searching for the tooting guide and not the installation guide. However, that information is handy for those not up and running on the latest software version yet.
- Everyone should see the LRX21P version from the About Device menu in the Settings list. Do not follow the guide for any other version. The official build always has that number.
- The steps are available for those running Microsoft Windows, Apple’s Mac OS X and those on the open source Linux kernels. However, the guide changes depending on what OS you have. The difference is the file you must download for each. This is carefully outlined during the steps so you can’t go wrong. Just make a mental note to click the correct file for your operating system.
- The guide is for advanced Android users only. We don’t walk you through how to set up Android SDK. You want to have great knowledge of how to use Android SDK already before starting the steps. Search for a family or friend member who has experience in customizing the nexus if you don’t have any yourself.
- The following process does void the remaining manufacturers warranty on the device. If there is none left then you have nothing to worry about. You can always revert back to stock firmware and take the unchaining off at a later date. Now the warranty works again since the flash counter goes back to zero and no workers can tell you previously tinkered with the OS. You should understand that installing future OTA’s when they arrive can brick the device. Never confirm any software updates automatically if they are still coming in over the air. You must install the files manually when they become available and install the stock software that way.
- You must stopover at the Developer Options menu from the Settings menu and enable USB Debugging Mode. Furthermore, you want to download and install the latest USB Drivers. The drivers will already be up-to-date for many. if you can plug your phone or tablet into the computer and access the data you know the drivers are working.
- You must have the SD card on the tablet for transferring the files. We download them to the desktop of the computer first since it is the safest way to work. You should always follow the steps exactly and not take shortcuts. We don’t recommend following the steps without the SD card.
How to root the Nexus 10 on LRX21P Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Download the Android SDK here and set it up accordingly.
- Download SuperSU 2.16 here.
- Download fastboot for:
– Mac OS X
- Download ClockworkMod recovery manta.img here.
- Use the copy and paste feature to transfer it to the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
- Fetch the USB cable.
- Transfer the SuperSu file to the SD card of the tablet.
- Turn the nexus 10 off.
- Boot it up into fastboot mode.
– Press the Power + Volume Down at the same time and hold them.
- open up the platform tools directory and press Shift + right-click on the white space to open up the command line.
- The command windows should open.
- Type fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-manta.img and confirm the process by hitting enter.
- Pick the recovery option from the fastboot menu.
- Pick the “flash zip from SD card” option.
- Pick the “choose zip from sdcard” option.
- Locate the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.16.zip file from the SD card we transferred earlier.
- Confirm the installation.
- Go back to the main recovery screen and select reboot system now.
- Wait for the reboot. The first time can take extra minutes.
If the tablet gets stuck in a bootlooop and won’t progress past that screen, you must boot it up in recovery mode. from there you want to “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Once working, it’s time to download some of our favorite apps for rooted Android’s. Check out ROM Manager, Shoot me, Juice Defender: Ultimate Juice, Quick Boot, Wireless Tether, ADB Wireless, Move 2SD Enabler, market Auto Update Bulk Toggle, LEDs hack and more such as Theft Aware.
Since you have a custom recovery along with the root access, you might want to read the 10 best custom ROMS for the Google Nexus 10 device.