If you are the owner of a Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 and have recently updated your device with the latest and greatest that Android has to offer, you can follow this detailed guide to get your Jelly Bean powered device rooted. Using Odin to flash the Siyah Kernel for this guide will not only see your device rooted but will also install the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM).
Before you begin:
Ensure you are completing the tutorial using a Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 only. No other devices are supported.
Ensure your device is running XWLSS Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. If you are unsure, you can check by simply going to ‘Settings’ > ‘About Phone’. This will tell you the version your device is currently running.
Ensure your device has a minimum of 85% battery life left so it is not interrupted during the rooting process.
Ensure you have the correct Samsung Galaxy S2 USB drivers installed on your device.
Last, but not least, please have a USB debugging mode enabled.
Once again, make sure you have backed up your device.
Rooting your Galaxy S2 i9100:
1. First off you will need to download the following:
2. Once downloaded and saved to your desktop, you will need to place your device into Download Mode. To make this happen simply switch off your device, then hold down the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Home’ buttons simultaneously. When you see the Android triangle symbol appear you can release the buttons and press the ‘Power’ button once to confirm your choice of Download Mode.
3. Launch Odin by double clicking on the file and then connect your device to the PC via USB. Make sure your device is still in download mode when you complete this.
4. You will know if the Odin has recognized your device by checking if an ID:COM box has changed to yellow. It will also display the COM port number. Allow a few moments for this to update within the Odin UI.
5. From within Odin select the ‘PDA’ option, then find the root kernel.tar file from step one and select it. It should look like this ‘Siyah-s2-v6. 0b4. tar’.
6. Ensure you have checked both the ‘Auto Reboot’ and the ‘F. Reset Time’ options from within Odin. Then select ‘Start’.
7. Be patient during the flashing process. After a few moments your device will restart, when this happens, it is safe to disconnect your device from your PC.
Congratulations, your device is now rooted and equipped with CWM Recovery. If you want to make sure the root has been successful you can download the root checker app from Goggle Play.