After successfully rooting the European variant of the LG G5, developers worked on rooting the T-Mobile LG G5 and finally they have been able to root this device.
Gaining root access on the T-Mobile version of the LG G5 requires running a couple of tools, flashing a custom recovery, and then flashing SuperSU actually to root the phone.
While that may all sound daunting to you, that is not actually. In fact, it’s much easier if you just follow our guide below. So, here’s how to root your LG G5 from T-Mobile:
Files You Need
- The following guide should erase the data stored on your phone, so please backup everything that you will need later on.
- You must have a computer that runs Windows to do this tutorial as the tool that you are going to use is only available for Windows.
- You should have ADB USB drivers installed on your Windows computer. Install the drivers if they are not already installed.
- This tutorial only works for the T-Mobile variant of the LG G5 that has the model number H830. Please do not try this on any other phone or you will end up bricking the phone.
- Download LGUP tool and save it to your computer.
- Download DLL and save it to your computer.
- Download SuperSU and save it to your computer.
- Download Disable DM and save it to your computer.
- Download TOT file and save it to your computer.
- Download Fastboot and save it to your computer.
Rooting the T-Mobile LG G5 (H830)
- Double-click on LGUP and install the tool on your computer.
- Double-click on DLL and install it on your computer.
- Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will unlock the developer menu for you.
- Head to the newly unlocked menu at Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on USB debugging and OEM Unlock options.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a compatible USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window in the Fastboot folder by holding down Shift on your keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- When the command prompt window opens, type in the following command and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- It should reboot your phone into bootloader mode.
- Next up, type in the following command and press Enter:
fastboot oem unlock
- Follow the on-screen instructions for unlocking the bootloader on your phone.
- Your bootloader should now be unlocked.
- Turn off your phone.
- Pull the battery out of your phone and put it back in after a few seconds.
- Hold down Volume UP on your phone and plug it into your computer using a USB cable.
- Your phone should reboot into download mode.
- Launch the LGUP tool by double-clicking on its file.
- Click on Upgrade when the tool launches.
- Choose the TOT file to be extracted and flashed on your phone.
- Click on Start and the tool should begin flashing TOT file on your phone.
- Wait for TOT file to be flashed on your phone.
- When the tool’s done flashing TOT file, reboot your phone.
- Copy SuperSU .zip and Disable DM from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your phone.
- Reboot your phone into custom recovery mode by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- When TWRP recovery launches, tap the option that says Install.
- Navigate to your internal SD card storage and select SuperSU .zip to be flashed on your phone.
- Confirm the flash by tapping Swipe to Confirm Flash.
- Wait for it to flash SuperSU on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing SuperSU, flash the Disable DM archive as well by following the same steps.
- When Disable DM has also been flashed, reboot your phone by choosing Reboot followed by System from the recovery menu.
- Your phone should reboot.
Cheers! You have successfully obtained root access on your T-Mobile variant of the LG G5.