Android 4.4.4 KitKat is the last stage of the chocolate software and now you can root it on the HTC One M7 for Verizon subscribers using a new exploit called WeakSauce 2. You may remember the original that works for earlier states of Kitkat on the same device. There are a few different ways of gaining root access on this device. However, few come simpler than this exploit. If you are wanting to open up the operating system away from the default factory restrictions while you wait for Lollipop, I suggest you follow the steps here and not any other.
Android 5.0 Lollipop is great with the new material deign UI, material design app drawer, Android Beam, Android Runtime, smart notifications offering a bevy of features from the lock screen and more. Nonetheless, custom ROMs are not there yet. If you are keen on having root access and want to run some decent ROMs you should stick with KitKat for a while longer.
Apply the following on the original M7 variant of the HTC One only. We have a dedicated guide for the M8 users here.
- You must be an advanced Android users to follow the guide. That way you reduce the chance of coming up with problems. Furthermore, you can find a way out of trouble if it find you.
- Apply a factory reset or a hard reset to solve most problems for when rooting goes wrong. Check out the simple factory reset app from Google Play here. Most modernistic devices come up with a solution for applying the same by using keys. That way if the screen isn’t working you can still access the recovery mode or apply the hard reset by the built-in local feature.
- Backup the device data before starting. You can use apps available from Google Play or use the built-in backup feature of the phone. Some helpful apps include Helium, Easy back and G cloud backup.
- You want to store the phone contacts, EFS folder, SMS texts, pictures, videos, music files and all other sensitive data such as the device settings.
- Use a computer, notebook or laptop for transferring the file. You shouldn’t download the app directly to the smartphone as it isn’t as safe. It can be a Windows PC, laptop or notebook, a Mac or a Linux machine. The main thing is that it comes with a working USB slot in the side for connecting the phone.
- The USB charging feature will keep the battery charging enough. If you don’t have the USB charging feature, you ought to reserve at least 50% battery power.
– you can check the battery levels by turning on the phone and looking at the battery icon from the status bar.
- Allow permissions for the Dalvik mode from Settings> Developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging by navigating to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
How to root the HTC One M7 By Verizon on Android 4.4.4 KitKat
- Download the WeakSauce 2 apk file here.
- Stopover at Settings > Security and enable the ‘unknown Sources’ option.
- Transfer the apk file to the internal SD card of the HTC One M7.
- Install a suitable file manager app if you don’t have one already.
– ASTRO File manager is a popular choice.
- Install the file and open it from the app drawer.
- Go back to Google Play and install the SuperSU from here.
The developer mentions that is does allow for the SunShine exploit to allow S-off and unlock some Android 4.4.4 versions too. The Sunshine developers are the same team behind WeakSauce. The difference is Sunshine is not free. Read more on that here.
Those of you who wish to return back to stock Android and revoke the root access can download and install the root checker and unroot pro app from Google Play.
Please share this article: