The SlimKat custom ROM has a new 8.20 version available based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat. The new weekly build is up for grabs for several different devices. Today we’ll show you how to install the ROM on the Samsung galaxy Note 2 N7100.
The SlimROMs team are working hard to deliver the first batch of ROMs based on Lollipop. However, in the mean time users can enjoy the later stages of KitKat on their devices. New updates are arriving weekly which fix known bugs and deliver performance enhancements and stability improvements. That said, we are giving it the all clear for users to install on their daily phones. You don’t need a secondary device to install this build.
You must have a custom recovery installed such as Team Win’s TWRP recovery or ClockworkMod recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup when you are inside the custom recovery during the guide. Remember to backup before performing the data wipe. By taking a Nandroid backup of the ROM you can store a mirror image of the current ROM including game data, apps, settings, WiFi passwords, pictures, music, video and everything else you need.
- You can use the ‘Online Nandroid backup’ application from Google Play for taking the copy without having to reboot the device.
- Those of you who are not interested in taking a Nandroid shot of the ROM can use third-party apps available from Google Play such as Titanium Backup. Titanium is available for those of you with root access only.
- Enable USB Debugging mode from the Developer Options menu. you’ll find the Developer Options from the Settings menu using any Android OS above 4.2 Jelly Bean.
- You must have root access to install a custom ROM.
- Backup the EFS folder for the IMEI number. That way if it is corrupt and wiped during the installation you can get it back. You can easily backup the Samsung EFS folder by downloading this app here.
- The following is based on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat software update by Google and Android. It does not need you sitting on 4.4.4 before installing the ROM.
- The USB charging feature will take care of the battery as long as you’re plugged into the computer. You must transfer the unofficial file from the computer to the phone or tablet instead of directly to the device from the source. It’s safer that way. Thus we need a computer with a working USB slot mounted in the side.
- Only apply the steps if you are an advanced Android user. Those of you without any experience will likely run into problems and starting blaming us in the process. Spare us all the issues and seek some help.
- We are not liable for any data loss or damages to your device by applying the custom ROM on your device. You install it at your own risk.
- You don’t need a “file manager” for shifting the files. That’s for APK files only.
How to update the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with SlimKat Android 4.4.4 KitKat 8.20 Custom ROM
- Turn on the computer and login to your user account.
- Download the unofficial file from here.
- Download the suitable Google Gapps file from here.
- Use the desktop for the files.
- Do not unzip the files. We are transferring them zipped.
- Connect the Note 2 to the computer using the USB cable.
- Copy and paste the files from the desktop to the internal SD card of the phone.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer and turn off the phone.
- Boot it up into recovery mode.
- Now’s your lats chance to take the Nandroid backup of the ROM.
- Pick ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ for CWM users or just ‘wipe’ for TWRP.
- Pick select ‘install zip from SD card’ and ‘choose zip from SD card,’ or just ‘install’ for TWRP users.
- Wait for the file to finish loading and apply the same steps only this time for the Gapps package.
- Go back to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now.’
You have the update working on your device after it successfully reboots. If something is wrong and it’s not working you want to apply a factory reset or hard reset. You usually can hard reset the Android device by pressing a series of buttons. Otherwise you can get access to the factory reset by installing the ‘simple factory reset‘ app from Google Play.
Please share this article: