The International Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F is finding a new software update arriving over the air with the build number XXU1BNL7. The new firmware is Android 5.0 Lollipop. The new software named after candy comes with material design in the user interface, material design in the application drawer, Android Beam, Android RunTime (ART), tap and go payments for NFC, a bevy of smart notifications including a “do not disturb” option from the lock screen, revamped Easter Egg that plays like Flappy Bird and more.
A few smartphones and tablets are finding 5.0.1 rolling out over the air. However, the Galaxy S5 was late with Lollipop and some models are still without the software OTA update.
We’ll run you through a list of the essentials before starting the steps. That way you know what you need before starting, the risk involved, why you would be updating this way and more.
- The official over the air signals are still rolling out. You can wait for it to arrive for your device or you can skip the waiting line and install the file manually. You are left with the same software running on your device regardless of the way you chose to install the file.
- Furthermore, those with root access don’t want to accept the OTA file because it can soft-brick their devices. Instead it’s best to install the file manually with Odin.
- Note that you will lose root access along with any custom ROM that is installed. people going from unofficial firmware to stock firmware must perform a factory reset and wipe the data. That’s why the ROM is left clean if any data.
- Backup the smartphone before starting the steps. Use the third-party apps available from Google Play or the built-in backup utility. Helium for Android is popular among Droid users this year. Apps are great because they offer premium options such as settings a time for future automatic backups. The stock feature from the phone only backs up the data when you manually choose.
- Make copies of the phone contacts, SMS texts, call logs, pictures, music, video and other data you don’t want to lose. You shouldn’t automatically lose data by installing official software updates issued by the phone carrier network or the device manufacturer or Android.
- Data loss occurs if you are performing a factory reset or a hard reset. Sometimes people must apply the same if their phone becomes unresponsive.
- Enable USB Debugging by turning on the phone and navigating to the Developer Options menu. You’ll find the Developer Options from the Settings.
- The following is only for the G900F variant of the Galaxy S5. Don’t try installing the file for any other. It can cause problems if you try installing the file on a different model of the Galaxy S5 or any other smartphone or tablet.
- You can check the model number of your device by turning it on and looking at the Settings > About Device.
- Install the up to date USB drivers from Samsung Kies, third-party links or the official Sammy website. You don’t have to install fresh drivers if you have them already. Try plugging the phone into the computer and see if you can get access to the pictures from the phone on the computer as you normally would. If that works you know the drivers are working.
- Remember to disable Kies after installing the drivers if you are using the utility. It can interfere with the Odin application when it’s running during the guide.
- You need a computer for applying the steps. We must use a special app that helps flash the file to the phone from the computer.
- The computer must be running a Windows operating system. Any version from Windows XP to Windows 8 works.
- It’s possible to use a laptop or notebook so long as it comes with a working USB slot mounted in the side. It’s that USB slot that we are using for connecting the phone.
How To Update The Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F International Version To XXU1BNL7 Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Turn on the computer and log in to the user account of your choice.
- Download the G900FXXU1BNL7 firmware file here.
- Download the suitable Odin version here.
- Extract both the zip files to the desktop of the computer.
- Have the Odin app running on the screen for when we are coming back ot it in a minute.
- Turn off the phone and boot it up in download mode.
- Press the Volume Down + Power + Home keys to enter download mode.
- Wait for the ID: COM port to change colors on the screen.
- Wait for the app to display the “added” message on the screen.
- Leave the default settings including Auto reboot and F Reset Time boxes.
- Do not touch the re-partition box.
- Click the AP button and upload the tar.md5 file from the desktop.
- Click the available start button to begin the flashing.
- Don’t touch any buttons until the “pass” message is displaying on the screen.
– Try repeating the steps if you are finding the “fail” message.
Try performing a hard reset if you are experiencing a shaky operating system. You can apply the same by pressing a series of keys. Otherwise try downloading the “simply factory reset” application from the Google Play store and enter recovery mode before applying the factory reset.
Please share this article: