The Samsung Galaxy Alpha LTE is finding a new OTA software update with the build number XXU2BNK3 rolling out. The new update stays on the same Android 4.4.4 KitKat number. It is not the new Android 5.0 Lollipop with material design UI, material design available n the app drawer, Android Beam, Android RunTime (ART), tap and go NFC payments, plus the range of other goodies. However, it’s still an important update for those suffering from various bugs. Furthermore, it does upgrade the operating system so that it runs smoother and faster than before.
Some of you may still be finding it coming over the air which means you can install the file automatically if you wish. Many people will prefer skipping the waiting line and installing the file manually. In addition to a faster process, some people have root access and shouldn’t accept the files OTA.
We are running though a list of the essentials which help you know what you are doing and what you need in preparation for the guide.
- The following is an official firmware release by Google and Samsung which updates the software. You do not void the warranty by applying the update.
- Only apply the following for the SM-G850F variant of the Alpha in the Singapore region. The file isn’t made for any other.
- You don’t automatically wipe the data from the phone unless you are forced into applying a factory reset from recovery mode. However, those cases are rare. If you wish to follow the smartphone book and backup the data, you can do that several ways.
- The Samsung Galaxy Alpha comes with a built-in backup option which lets you store most of the media, phone contacts and other data. Moreover, there are many third-party apps available from Google Play which help you backup the same. You can use Helium for Android, Easy backup, G Cloud backup just to name a few.
- You may backup the data with the internal memory on the phone. Only the ROM is wiped during a hard reset. The internal storage is safe. However, you can also backup the data with the external SD card if you need. The SD card doesn’t come with the phone, though. You must buy these from the shops.
- Enable the USB Debugging from the Developer options. The menu is hidden during the Jelly bean software. All of you should be running KitKat of some sort before applying the guide.
– You can tap on the build number from the settings seven times and unlock the hidden developer options menu if you need it available.
- You need the up to date USB Drivers for connecting to the computer.
- You must have a computer with the Odin application installed. We are installing the file during the steps. Make sure you have a computer, notebook or laptop with a working USB slots available in the side for connecting the phone.
How to update the Samsung Galaxy Alpha with XXU2BNK3 Android 4.4.4 KitKat OTA
- Turn on the Windows computer and log in to your user account.
- Download the XXU2BNK3 firmware file from here.
- Download the suitable version of Odin here.
- Use the desktop of the computer for the files.
- Unzip the Odin pack and have it running on the computer.
- Extract the firmware file and notice the tar file which we are flashing soon.
- Connect the Alpha to the computer using the USB wire.
- Wait for the app to change the ID: COM port color.
- Wait for the ‘added” message appearing on the computer.
- Leave the default settings inside the Odin app including the Auto Reboot and F reset Time options.
- Do not mark the re-partition box.
- Click the AP or PDA button and upload the official tar firmware file.
- Click the start button when you are ready for the flashing.
- Do not touch any buttons until Odin responds with a “pass” or “fail” message on the display.
- Furthermore, it will change the ID: COM port color once more.
If you get stuck in a boot loop where the phone doesn’t go past the boot an animation you want to apply a factory reset. You can do that from inside the official recovery mode or by installing the app from the Google Play store. “Simple factory reset” is available to help. The recovery mode is available by pressing a series of keys from the keyboard. If you find that too difficult to master, you can install the reboot manager application to help you enter recovery.